Thursday, May 24, 2012

What do you say to a birth mom?

 So as you can see.....Michael is making lots of improvements!!!  We are just so thrilled, and couldn't be more proud!  It isn't easy, and he doesn't always like myself or his therapist stretching his muscles and teaching him how to use them correctly, but he hangs in there.  Of course getting the best pictures is hard....but here are a few to show you his sitting up skills!!!  WAHOOOO!!!!!!!
 Look at me- I am soo handsome and I like to do manipulative toys like this- they are easy :).
 I got tubes put in my ears now so hopefully I will hear even better than before. 
 Oh....here I am escaping now.....I am done sitting up for mommy and I am off......
there is just so much to see and do!  I can't just sit around all day!  :)

So next Thursday I get an AWESOME opportunity!!!  I get to speak at a banquet for birth mothers!!!!  Mothers who have made the choice for life!  They have said LIFE MATTERS and then ....then they have put all others before themselves and give their child to another family to raise.  I get goosebumps just thinking about our birth moms. 

Whew!  This is a HUGE DEAL!!!!  So any thoughts on what you would want to say to your birth moms if you have had or would have a chance??

Have I mentioned that I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS???  Oh and that I LOVE TO SPEAK IN PUBLIC??  It's true...especially about things I am passionate about- GOD, my testimony, adoption, my family, children with special needs, value of life, ooooooo---soooo excited God has given me this opportunity!!!

9 comments:

  1. I was able to tell our birth moms thankyous for the GIFT you gave us. The tiny miracle you gave us to raise...there really are no words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say: "Thank you for the Gift that you gave us to love, nurture, and raise."

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a birth mom, I liked hearing that my son's parents continue to love me and care about what happens in my life. I liked knowing that I am an important part of his life and my involvement is invaluable. Let them know that you understand how hard this was and will continue to be for them. Let them know that they are treasured just as much as the children they placed in your arms and never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have just recently been able to communicate directly with our son's birthmother & I can't even begin to tell you what a blessing she is. We got to meet her & spend time with her in the hospital when our son was born & just seeing how much she loves him was something that we will always treasure. I think that birthmothers need to know just what a courageous decision they have made & that no matter what others might tell them, we know that they made the decision they did out of love for their child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so excited for you. Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an adoption social worker, one of the things that I'm sure to tell my birthmoms is that they could have made a different choice. They proved that they loved their child and indeed wanted what was best for them by choosing LIFE and realizing that they wanted their child to have what they could not give them. I don't know of any other selfless act of love. The situation could have turned out so differently given the choices they had but they chose Life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think about this every year around Mothers Day, and here's a blog post I wrote about it: http://grtlyblesd.blogspot.com/2012/05/recycled-post.html

    Mostly, I want them to know she's alive, safe, happy, and thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never stop being a mother. When you choose to give a child life and are able to make a plan to give your child something that you yourself can't give your child, that is the most respectful and self-less thing you can ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not comment on your blog before but I check in sometimes. Thank you for your posts that have made me look at some things differently.

    Our family is a little different than some as we still keep in regular contact with our birth families. Our girls came to us both at age 9 and our son at age 3 so they still remember their birth families and feel a need to know they are safe and healthy. I keep in touch with them by facebook regularly (sometimes by phone as well). The kids see them 3 times a year--a birthday visit, summer visit, and Christmas visit. Our whole family always goes to these visits as we are a family unit now and we need our kids' birth families to see us as such.

    When ever I talk to our kids' birth moms I always remind them that we pray for them daily. When the moms are missing the kids or struggling with their choices I always tell them what I tell our kids, "You were a very strong woman to have made the choice you did--to give your child a new life. You love them so much that you chose a different future for them. You love them so much you chose a family for them that will love them forever and love you as well." I actually just told this to our foster daughter's mom a couple of weeks ago when she decided to sign over her rights and was worried that her 18 month old may not understand all of this some day.

    I love that our birth mothers are a part of our extended family. It isn't traditional but it works for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

.

.