Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Radical Living & more England pics

OK so never finished our England pics....so here are some more. This was at the Tower Bridge in London. Which many mistakenly call the London Bridge. You can actually go on a tour (we haven't ever done it) and go up in the walk above. I think there are even rooms for banquets etc. up there?
Ahh......whose crazy family is this???
The part of the bridge that is covered they are painting.....so looks a bit strange...

This is a new building built more recently. For the offices and I am sure space to rent out too- for the new mayor of London. I guess they decided they needed a mayor. Never had one until recent years. Cool building.
This is the gurkin (not sure on spelling) building. Another fun shape!

My children waiting sooo patiently at Subway for something to eat....I know you never hear things like mommy I'm hungry, I'm bored, when is the food coming? he he he - actually they were pretty good!!!
This is outside the Tower of London. Which is where the kings and queens used to live. Where many of Henry's wives were beheaded.......
Traitor's Gate- Where they used to bring in traitors from the river into the towers to be beheaded.
One of the gates that come down in case of emergency- It weighed something absolutely silly that no one could lift...I think the iron gate that comes down would take like 40 people to lift?
This is one of the Beefeaters. That is the name of the guards at the Tower of London. A strange name that was given a long time ago. Those who are beefeaters live at the Tower of London- inside. Sounds fun to me! This one is giving a tour......

Inside the Tower of London. Some of the homes of the Beefeaters. This particular corner inside actually used to be a prison area. They used to do some of the beheadings in this very square. Yep, when they were saying that as part of the tour I'm thinking to myself........going to have to explain some of that history now to the kids because I know they are going to ask......

There is a lot more to the Tower of London, but a lot of the places you can't take pics. Like of all the Crown Jewels- the sceptres, crowns, royal dishes, etc. they use during ceremonies. Which by the way contain the largest diamond ever- that was divided and placed into a crown & sceptre. There was also a huge new display of King Henry the 8th's armor & other knight type stuff. The kids loved it! Hey, kept them excited.

So I have been reading Crazy Love. Got it as an early Christmas gift to myself, and well, just haven't gotten finished yet....life has been....too much lately. So in the last several days I have been sneaking in my normal time to be with God!!!! I am reading the Bible in a Year with some blog friends and truly that has been a huge blessing.

Back to the book- Chapter 8 has this title- profile of the obsessed....Obsessed: To have the mind excessively preoccupied with a single emotion or topic. I am thinking to myself at this point- right now I am obsessed......with myself....with my stress about not receiving our approval from immigration yet........and it has taken over a lot of my thoughts.

That is not what this chapter is about- it is about filling our lives with an obsession for CHRIST! About being so obvious of our love for HIM that we stick out! This particular paragraph on page 133 says- People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress.

Sometimes my husband says...I don't know if we are such a good "bulletin board" for adoption. I know instantly what he is saying. It always seems as though our lives are filled with craziness. With heart ache, pain, etc. But our family is also filled to overflowing with JOY as well. I pray that others see our obsession over being parents to those who are in need- will see our passion for God through that.

I have to say I am obsessed with heaven. I would rather go home to Jesus than anything! I know we have a lot of work left to do, and will serve no matter how deep the hurt or stress, but I pray that God's Will be done in our lives as we live here on Earth.

As I am sure you have guessed...no word yet....Praying! Nothing like spending more time on your knees!

3 comments:

  1. This is what our pastor talked about in his "state of the church address" on Sunday. Are we going to live "comfortable" lives or live "radical lives serving God"?
    Adoption is def. stepping out of our comfort zone, with so much out of our control and a certain someone is obviously against it and tries to discourage us at every turn.
    Thanks for sharing your heart-it's beautiful.
    Ashlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. As we face giving up all that has been our safety net, I'm faced with realizing that Christ is to be my FOCUS above all else. He is the ONLY safety net we have. Really. Praying for you daily as you seek to be obsessed with Christ rather than the hold-up going on right now. I'm praying for this to be resolved very, very soon.
    Thank you for commenting on my husband's blog post! He needs encouragement to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED the book Crazy Love. Loved it. Loved your pics too...can you pack me in your suitcase on your next trip;). thinking of your precious fam and PRAYING.

    ReplyDelete

.

.