Saturday, September 17, 2011

Being a teacher

 Yes, more pics of the MOSI (museum of science and industry)  he he he.....Joshua's eyes LIT UP like a Christmas tree when he saw this!!!  Have I mentioned all my boys want to be things like- police, firefighter, and a soldier?  OYE!!  Yes, I would be soo PROUD, and on my knees 24/7 as well!!!!! 
 He he he- this display looks strange, but in the "shield part" of the manikin there is a video that plays.  Love the little hands sticking out :)
 You can move the house to different parts, and see the effects of what happens when there is a flooding effect. 
 Oh yes, the kids BEGGED me to go up during this display.  After I was sure all the other kids in the little area had a turn.....I gave in.  Knowing my light, thin, long hair would amuse everyone.  (all my girls hair was pulled back or in twists...
Here we are at the IMAX waiting for the movie to start.  :)  It was sooo fun to see the movie on a HUGE screen.

Depending on how long you have been around you may or may not know that I was a teacher.....before going into full time Christian Camp ministry.....before moving here to Florida and now being a full time stay at home mom/teacher :)

I taught band/music, but in reality I just loved teaching in general.  I have heard lots of moms say I would love to home school, but I just don't think I can do it, or don't know where to start, or what happens if I can't, or what if I forget to teach something really important???????  The list of what if's goes on and on.

I am actually sometimes always afraid of the same things.  Although I LOVE TEACHING there are many times a day I feel doubt creep in my mind.  I think about all the things I could be forgetting, or the times when I just don't know if I am doing a good enough job.  Then I remember when God tells us clearly that we are to be BOLD for HIM!

This is true for those of us that home school, and those of us who don't.  We have to teach our children with BOLDNESS!  This happens to be part of the scriptures for this next week we are studying.  It is from Acts when Peter and John were causing quite a commotion.  They were speaking about God's Love and Power with BOLDNESS.  They would not back down no matter what the threats, how many times they were jailed, or questioned.  Remember their lives are on the line!

Acts 4:29-31 New International Version (NIV)

29 Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. 30 Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
 31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

I pray you are encouraged in parenting/teaching your children- to be BOLD for Christ.  What does this look like?  Sometimes it means teaching your children that being popular is not more important than what they believe.  Sometimes it means teaching your children the TRUTH from scripture and not the "popular" beliefs from society.  Sometimes this means that your family may look a lot different, you may act a lot different, you may do things a lot different.  Are you willing to be different for Christ?

Are you willing to be last in line?  Are you willing to sacrifice financially for others?  Are you willing to stand up at your work place for Christ?  Are you willing to be stared at and asked questions 24/7 about your family simply because you attract attention?  Are you willing to pray together, spend time in the Word together, sit down and discuss hard questions of this world together?

Are there other things to teach our children?  Oh yeah, like how to count, divide, measure, how a motor works, how electricity works, how to spell, write, etc.  But if we as parents stick to the most important first......the rest will come. 

***Please pray for some families adopting through Ethiopia....there are some things happening that are soo very hard right now (don't want to give details, but just know these children and their families need prayer- LOTS OF IT).  Thank you!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the teaching encouragement! I have heard about some Ethiopia adoption troubles a couple of times now...praying for those families and children caught up in it all.

    ReplyDelete

.

.