Tuesday, November 10, 2015

What adoption means to me


When I think about this question I have to admit I am overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed with emotions, memories, pain, suffering, healing, and great joy all mingled together.  Personally our adoption journey is one that started almost automatically as if on auto pilot. 

I am a walking miracle and survived cancer at the age of 8 that should have taken my life, but God had other plans for my crazy determined self.  Of course the surgery was intense and they removed any organs not necessary for sustaining my life which meant losing the ability to have children.  After then going through grueling months and months of radiation treatments I was cancer free.  At the age of 18 I was declared healed PRAISE GOD!  Feel free to read my testimony here

 Not knowing really what we were doing at all Jason and I started the process of foster care 15 years ago.  You can read a shortened version of how all our children came to us here

What it means is so hard to answer because like my faith in Christ is so very personal.  It is as different for each family as a set of fingerprints.  There is a different road each time we have traveled it and they have all become a part of me.  In a lot of ways adoption has mingled in with my faith. 

My faith in Jesus Christ says when tragedy happens that God is still in control.  When adoption loss happens and a family for any of a million reasons can not care for a child/ren I choose to believe that God is in control.  I don't know why the circumstances are there.  I don't understand it all, but my faith tells me God loves us all equally and so deep we can't imagine.  So the same has to be true for the birth family, the child/ren, and the adoptive family.   



 


When God set aside our family for the journey He has taken us on there is no way we could have pictured what it looks like now.  The part of adoption that is true for everyone is giving your "yes" and allowing God to work on the rest.  We didn't choose the timing or how it all happened, but God knew the children that would be in our homes and he knows the whys.  We have to remind ourselves of that daily. 

Our faith is greatly strengthened by seeing our children grow, heal, learn, and become a family.  It doesn't mean they "give up" or "forget" their biological family.  It means that they learn through faith that God loves them, their birth families, and all of us so much and that He continues to love us beyond all comprehension. 


God continues to hold our family together and grow our faith in God together as we seek Him.  Adoption is more about our response to God and to others around us than it is about paperwork or finances.  It is more about taking those huge steps of faith that God will honor His promises to our children than about our wants. 


Our story is crazy and beautiful.  It is intense most days.  


A continuous reminder that God's love never fails..............


And His blessings are new every morning.

4 comments:

  1. First of all I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. I have had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? software

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost all of what you assert happens to be supprisingly accurate and that makes me wonder the reason why I hadn't looked at this with this light before. This particular piece truly did turn the light on for me as far as this issue goes. However there is actually one factor I am not really too comfy with so whilst I attempt to reconcile that with the actual core theme of the issue, permit me see what the rest of your visitors have to point out.Very well done. Cheap medical insurance in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got great information from this blog.It is very informative..
    Child Day Care Houston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting topic, can you post some further information on this subject.
    aged care help Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete

.

.