Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sabbath part 2

Exodus 31:17
Contemporary English Version (CEV)
17 This day will always serve as a reminder, both to me and to the Israelites, that I made the heavens and the earth in six days, then on the seventh day I rested and relaxed.
 Matthew 11:25-30

Come to Me and Rest

25 At that moment Jesus said:
My Father, Lord of heaven and earth, I am grateful that you hid all this from wise and educated people and showed it to ordinary people. 26 Yes, Father, that is what pleased you.
27 My Father has given me everything, and he is the only one who knows the Son. The only one who truly knows the Father is the Son. But the Son wants to tell others about the Father, so that they can know him too.
28 If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest. 29 Take the yoke[f] I give you. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest. 30 This yoke is easy to bear, and this burden is light.
 Those are some wise words!!  Sabbath refers to helping YOU/ME!  It is just like all the other commandments that God spoke to us.  I always used to think don't do this, and don't do that, and blah blah blah.  Just being honest.  I didn't realize the really deep spiritual implications of what God says in His Word.  So glad I am finally learning! 

So the thing is when we don't take Sabbath we hurt ourselves, our families, our friends, our church, our work, and our communities!  Oh I know the office simply can't live without you!  Your children can't live without you!  NO ONE can live without you :).  I know really I get it!  We are self employed, and on commission based work.  Trust me I GET IT!  There are some very lean months for us and sometimes it is real uncomfortable. 
 But there is something you should know as well- When you don't take your Sabbath- your health suffers!  Physical health as well as spiritual health!  It affects how you react, how you process things, your creativity, how you serve others, and how fast you can do your job.  Still think no one can live without you?  Still think you should work 80+ hours a week? 

Well, now there is a problem because if you are taking a hit physically and spiritually because you are not doing what God asks, you aren't relying on Him, and you are CHOOSING to say I don't need God----- then how in the world can you claim to serve Him?  OUCH!!!!!  Yep, me too!  When we don't appreciate what God gives us we will lose it.....  :(  Don't do that!  It is precious!  It is a GIFT from the Lord!
 I have nine kids you say- yep, and they take a LOT OF TIME AND ENERGY!  YES!!!  I am involved with church and if I don't do it no one will.  I home school.  If I don't work even more then we may not make enough money.  YEP- GET IT, DONE IT, LIVING IT!!!!!! 

BUT I CHOOSE TO TRUST JESUS!  If I have trusted Him with everything else......then Lord.....I trust you with my time, with my recreation in you!  I should say I am a work in progress ;).

What does Sabbath look like? 

RENEW- Connecting with God is the MOST IMPORTANT PART!  If you aren't connecting with God there is no point.  So whatever you do this is the essential part.  

REVIEW- What are the things you do that give you joy and excitement?  What are the things that give you more energy?  What are the things that drain you?  What makes you miserable?   What are your time suckers?  **Doesn't mean you can give up all those things that drain you, but is there a way you can do it that would bring you more joy?  Say singing while doing the laundry.  How about memorizing verses while doing household chores?  Maybe try dividing chores differently between those that live with you so you rotate more.  Sometimes just a little break from them gives you new appreciation. 

RESTING- read a book, meditate on a specific scripture, review notes from a Bible study or sermon, live with nothing to do for the hour, the day, the week!!!  NOTHING- NO AGENDA! 

RESTRUCTURE- Do something different.  Make a bucket list of things you want to do!  Start checking them off. Save up and plan something.  Enjoy the planning, the dreaming, and the doing!  Give yourself new goals. 
AMEN!  Allow God to give you new breath!  New joy!  New vision!  New things to concentrate on! 

***Today's photos brought to you by- whip cream given to our family with desert and well you can see what that leads to in our family :).  FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.